The workshop will be held in Thessaloniki for local media professionals
iMEdD is joining forces with the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki’s (AUTH) School of Journalism and Mass Communications to host a two-day workshop titled Introduction to Data Journalism on 13 and 14 February 2023.
Registration is now closed.
Utilizing the knowledge and resources of the iMEdD Lab, the Organization’s pillar specializing in data journalism, attendees will get hands-on experience with data processing, analysis, and visualization without needing to know how to code. What is (open) data? How do we access it and how can journalists use it in an investigative research? These are some of the questions that the workshop aims to address.
Monday 13 February, 17:00 – 20:00:
- Introduction to data journalism. What is data? How can it be used? A discussion on data stories, data sources and data mining
- Introduction to spreadsheets
Tuesday 14 February, 15:00 – 16:30:
- Mentorship on data stories that participating journalists are working on/plan to work on (optional)
Tuesday 14 February, 17:00 – 20:00:
- Data processing/analysis using spreadsheet
- Opening .pdf files using online tools (if time permits)
- Data visualization using online tools
Instructors: Kelly Kiki, Thanasis Troboukis (iMEdD Lab)
The capacity for this workshop is limited to 20 attendees. Participants will be chosen through a review of their applications. The workshop will be conducted in Greek at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki’s Research Committee Conference Center. To attend the workshop, participants should bring their own laptops and have a Google account. A valid form of identification is required to enter the facility.
This workshop is part of iMEdD’s initiative to support local journalism in Greece.